Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
A different alternative to traditional Hanukkah latkes. Or, perhaps serve both with your Hanukkah meal.
- Peel and grate sweet potatoes and remove any excess moisture.
- Beat eggs and add one at a time, mixing well. See Note at end of instructions.
- Add matzoth meal or flour and baking powder.
- Add spices and mix well.
- Heat oil until hot and put large spoonful for each pancake.
- Cook until brown and flip.
- NOTE: For fluffier pancakes, separate eggs.
- Add egg yolks into the potatoes.
- Then, beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Fold in egg whites after all other ingredients have been mixed inches.
This is more "interesting" than plain potato latkes, though I must confess that by the time I got around to making them, I had run out of patience to use the the stovetop... I baked them on a sprayed cookie sheet. I don't know if that's why the shredded sweet potatoes were so crisp, almost to the point of being raw... the taste was great, though. Thanks for posting.