Recipe by Kiwi Kathy
Published in the New Zealand Woman's Weekly, 16 January 1991. A delicious vegetarian flan that appeals to meat eaters and vegetarians alike. This has become a firm family favourite and one the the few recipes that I regularly make.
Top Review by Lalaloula
WOW, what a great pie this makes! My sis and me made this together as a special lunch and devoured it all. So good! The lentils go great with the sweet potato and make for a chunky, hearty addition. The seasoning was lovely in this. My only problem was that the filling was way too much for the small amount of crust this made, next time Ill simply double the crust.
I made a couple of changes due to what I had/did not have on hand:
I reduced the butter in the crust by more than half and subbed in margarine for it, I left out the soy sauce and tomato paste and used a light cheese on top. It still came out decadent and wonderful. Ill definitely make this again.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this with us, Kathy!
Made and reviewed for the January 2011 Aussie/NZ Recipe Swap.
- 1 cup flour
- 75 g butter, cold
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons water, cold
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sweet potato, medium size (kumara)
- 1 onion, medium
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 cup cheese, tasty grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Put flour and baking powder into a food processor fitted with metal chopping blade and pulse to combine.
- Add butter and process.
- Add water and process until dough just starts to ball.
- Remove from processor and lightly knead.
- Roll out the dough and use to line a 23cm flan dish.
- Chill while preparing the filling.
- Put lentils and bay leaf into a saucepan.
- Pour in sufficient water to come 2.5cm above the lentils.
- Cook for about 20 minutes, or until soft and all the water has been absorbed.
- Remove bay leaf and set lentils aside.
- Peel and chop sweet potato (kumara) and cook in boiling salted water until tender. Drain and mash.
- Peel and finely chop the onion and saute in oil until the onion becomes clear. Remove from heat.
- Beat the eggs in a small bowl.
- Mix together the eggs, lentils and onion mixture. Add the soy sauce, tomato paste, cumin and salt.
- Spoon mixture into prepared flan dish. Smooth top surface over.
- Bake at 180 degrees C, for 45 minutes until golden and set. Sprinkle cheese over top after baking for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold with salad.
- NB: You can use ready bought Short Crust Pastry.