1/4 Photos of Sweet Potato (Kumara) and Lentil Pie
1 hr 15 mins
Kiwi Kathy's Note:
Published in the New Zealand Woman's Weekly, 16 January 1991. A delicious vegetarian flan that appeals to meat eaters and vegetarians alike. This has become a firm family favourite and one the the few recipes that I regularly make.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup flour
- 75 g butter, cold
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water, cold
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sweet potato, medium size (kumara)
- 1 onion, medium
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup cheese, tasty grated
- 2Put flour and baking powder into a food processor fitted with metal chopping blade and pulse to combine.
- 3Add butter and process.
- 4Add water and process until dough just starts to ball.
- 5Remove from processor and lightly knead.
- 6Roll out the dough and use to line a 23cm flan dish.
- 7Chill while preparing the filling.
- 9Put lentils and bay leaf into a saucepan.
- 10Pour in sufficient water to come 2.5cm above the lentils.
- 11Cook for about 20 minutes, or until soft and all the water has been absorbed.
- 12Remove bay leaf and set lentils aside.
- 13Peel and chop sweet potato (kumara) and cook in boiling salted water until tender. Drain and mash.
- 14Peel and finely chop the onion and saute in oil until the onion becomes clear. Remove from heat.
- 15Beat the eggs in a small bowl.
- 16Mix together the eggs, lentils and onion mixture. Add the soy sauce, tomato paste, cumin and salt.
- 17Spoon mixture into prepared flan dish. Smooth top surface over.
- 18Bake at 180 degrees C, for 45 minutes until golden and set. Sprinkle cheese over top after baking for 30 minutes.
- 19Serve hot or cold with salad.
- 20NB: You can use ready bought Short Crust Pastry.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato (Kumara) and Lentil Pie
Serving Size: 1 (146 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 565.2
- Calories from Fat 222
- Total Fat 24.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 142.1 mg
- Sodium 1315.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 22.9 g