Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I made this up combining several recipes for sweet potato and kale soup and African peanut chicken stew. In place of ras el hanut you can use curry. Try one tablespoon peanut butter, it might be enough if you don't want it too strong.
- 1⁄2 lb chicken breast
- 1 lb sweet potato
- 2 cups kale, shredded
- 2 shallots
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter, natural style
- 1 tablespoon ras el hanout spice mix
- salt, to taste
- Cook the chicken breasts with one shallot in 1 cup salted water until done.
- Shred the chicken breasts, put back into broth and set aside.
- Chop the second shallot, garlic clove and ginger finely.
- Slice sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch thick, bite size pieces (the size that can be eaten with a spoon).
- In a large, deep pan heat 2 tablespoons olive oil at medium heat and fry shallot, garlic and ginger with one tablespoon ras el hanut (or curry) until fragrant.
- Add sliced sweet potato, fry until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add kale and tamari and mix, then add chicken broth and meat, mix well, cover and let simmer for about five minutes.
- Mix one tablespoon peanut butter with 1/2 cup hot water, stir until smooth.
- As soon as sweet potatoes are soft, add dissolved peanut butter. Season with salt to taste and try if you want to add another tablespoon peanut butter.
- Mix well, let simmer for another minute and serve immediately.
What a really nice combination and the ras el hanout is so fragrant and flavorful. I cheated a little by using a shredded rotisserie chicken and I used a package of organic pre-shredded kale. Loved the addition of the sweet potatoes and peanut butter. Everything came together so nicely -- this is a great comfort food meal and one that I will make again. Made for the FYC tag game.
This was delicious! I used a little more chicken and less sweet potato and subbed spinach for the kale. We actually had some ras el hanout on hand and it made the house smell so good! Great easy weeknight recipe.