Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe comes from a wonderful little community called Homestead Heritage outside of Waco, TX. This spicy, creamy, smoky soup is a favorite of everyone who tries it and I'm pleased to say that they share their recipes! I entered this soup into our churches Souper Bowl contest and it won the Hot Stuff award! Notes to add: 1. I used about 5.5 lbs sweet potatoes and it was still very spicy. If you want to make it mild or kid friendly, cut way back on the jalapenos and just place them in a bowl as a side. 2. To sweeten it, I have found that 2 Tbsp brown sugar does the trick. 3. This soup freezes beautifully! You won't be disappointed in this soup!
- 5 lbs sweet potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 4 slices turkey bacon (regular bacon is fine too)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup jarred jalapeno
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- artificial sweetener (optional)
- Scrub sweet potatoes, cut into quarters, place in large stock pot, cover with water and boil until soft.
- When potatoes are soft, drain them and let them cool until you can handle them. Peel off the skin.
- Peel and chop onion. Finely chop bacon and garlic.
- In a large soup pot, melt butter. Add bacon, onion and garlic and saute until onions are translucent.
- Add chicken broth. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Dice half the sweet potatoes and stir into boiling broth.
- Puree the remaining sweet potatoes with the jalapenos, cumin, cilantro and half-and-half. Stir into soup. Add salt, pepper, and sweetener (if needed). Stir well; heat through.
- Serve and Enjoy!
I also agree this is the best soup ever. I had this a couple of weeks ago when I attended a homesteading workshop at Homestead Heritage in Waco. I didn't have pickled jalapenos so I had to wait a couple of weeks for my jalapenos to pickle before I tried it.
OK, I second this as the best soup ever. I made the following modifications to reduce the fat: fat-free chicken broth (Costco), fat free half and half, skipped the butter altogether, used ham instead of bacon, and I used one fresh jalapeno seeded. It is perfect. I'd consider your brown sugar suggestion, by why monkey with it? This is great!
I've been to Homestead Heritage, and yes, this is the best soup ever! I made this soup a couple months ago and it was pretty good, but I used fresh jalapenoes, and guessed on the amount and it was too mild. (But still SOO tasty) I will make this again tomorrow and add more fresh jalapenoes. This worth the effort and is so warm and comforting for the wintertime.