1/2 Photos of Sweet Potato Home Fries
Courtesy of Chowhound, this recipe hit my inbox this morning and looks just delightful! The sweetness of sweet potatoes combines with a fresh bite from scallions and a kick of smoke from paprika. Because the potatoes are parboiled, the last-minute work on this recipe is minimal. The result is a crunchy exterior and a soft interior.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into medium dice
- 2 lbs orange sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into medium dice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large shallots, minced
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 cup scallion, finely sliced
- 1Place the russet potatoes and sweet potatoes in separate saucepans and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook until slightly tender on the outside, so that they just give way when pierced with a knife but are still firm on the inside, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- 2Drain the potatoes and spread evenly on a baking sheet to cool. (At this point they can be combined and placed in a sealed container in the refrigerator overnight.)
- 3In a small bowl combine the paprika and salt and stir until well mixed; set aside.
- 4Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add a third of the potato mixture, or enough to make a single layer in the pan. Let cook undisturbed until golden brown, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- 5Stir gently with a wooden spatula and let cook undisturbed for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- 6Add a third of the garlic, shallots, and paprika mixture and season generously with pepper. Let cook until nicely colored and crisp, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- 7Sprinkle with a third of the scallions and remove to a platter. Repeat with the remaining ingredients, adjust the seasoning as necessary, and serve.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato Home Fries
Serving Size: 1 (246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 326.9
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 510.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 5.5 g