Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Used orange fleshed potatoes for maximum impact. This is great served with creme fraiche on top. Once cooled this can be frozen for up to one month.
- 125 g dried black beans, soaked overnight
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 red chilies, halved and deseeded
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 675 g sweet potatoes, chunked
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and diced
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- Drain and rinse black beans and place in a pan with the garlic and chillies. Cover with water and bring to the boil. Boil for 10 minutes and then simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a frying pan and add potatoes and red onion. Toss to coat, then cover and cook on a low heat for 15 minutes.
- Increse the heat and add the peppers. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Drain beans. Remove garlic and chilies and mash with a fork. Add this to the potato pan along with the tomatoes and spring onions and cook for 4 minutes.
- Season if desired and serve with crusty bread and creme fraiche.