Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Unique crispy, golden hashbrown patties. Good for breakfast or dinner.
- 2 teaspoons butter or 2 teaspoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 medium baking potato, peeled and shredded
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- In a nonstick skillet, melt the butter and 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat.
- Saute the diced onion for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Add in the brown sugar; cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- In a bowl, mix together the onion mixture, shredded potatoes, salt, and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- *Dothis in batches--drop the potato mixture into 3 1/2 inch rounds; cook 5 minutes on each side or until golden (add more oil as necessary).
- Press down with a spatula to flatten.
- Serve hot, topped with crumbled bacon and pecans.
Oh my gosh. I became a member on food.com just to review this recipe. I didn't follow the recipe exactly but I did follow the ingredients exactly and it was fantastic. I love this stuff. I'm going to make this again next week. The combination of the sweet potato and regular potato plus the delicious brown sugar and then the bacon. It was fantastic!!!!
We LOVED these hashbrowns!!! I followed your directions to the letter and they turned out amazingly delicious. The combination of sweet and savory flavors worked well together. The bacon and nuts were great touch. I served them with baked ham, collard greens, and cornbread. Good job, Nurse Di.
This recipe was so easy and good! I didn't have any sweet potatoes on hand, so, I used 2 regular potatoes and followed the everything else ot a 'T'! Will definitely try this again with the sweet potato. Thanks for posting NurseDi!