Recipe by Northern Star
These make a terrific side dish that goes with just about everything. A little putzy to make but well worth the effort. I got this from a cooking show on PBS at least 10 years ago, I don't even remember what show it was.
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 4 slices bacon, cut into small dice
- 1 medium onion, cut into small dice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and dice sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch dice. Cook in a large kettle of boiling water until just barely tender (3 - 5 minutes). You should feel a slight resistance when you pierce the pieces with a fork. Drain thoroughly.
- In a large saute pan, fry the bacon until just starting to crisp.
- Add onions to bacon and sautee until translucent.
- Remove bacon and onion from pan and set aside leaving drippings in pan.
- Add oil to drippings in saute pan.
- Add sweet potatoes to the saute pan and stir in the 1 Tbsp of sugar.( The sugar helps to caramelize the potatoes.).
- Saute on medium high heat until potatoes start to brown. This takes about 10 - 15 minutes.
- Return onions and bacon to pan and cook a few minutes longer.
- Serve and enjoy.