1/1 Photo of Sweet Potato Hash Browns
Northern Star's Note:
These make a terrific side dish that goes with just about everything. A little putzy to make but well worth the effort. I got this from a cooking show on PBS at least 10 years ago, I don't even remember what show it was.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel and dice sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch dice. Cook in a large kettle of boiling water until just barely tender (3 - 5 minutes). You should feel a slight resistance when you pierce the pieces with a fork. Drain thoroughly.
- 2In a large saute pan, fry the bacon until just starting to crisp.
- 3Add onions to bacon and sautee until translucent.
- 4Remove bacon and onion from pan and set aside leaving drippings in pan.
- 5Add oil to drippings in saute pan.
- 6Add sweet potatoes to the saute pan and stir in the 1 Tbsp of sugar.( The sugar helps to caramelize the potatoes.).
- 7Saute on medium high heat until potatoes start to brown. This takes about 10 - 15 minutes.
- 8Return onions and bacon to pan and cook a few minutes longer.
- 9Serve and enjoy.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato Hash Browns
Serving Size: 1 (139 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 173.7
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 5.4 mg
- Sodium 121.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 2.7 g