Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I love this simple sweet potato hash. It's a bit different than regular hashes because it contains spinach and no meat. If you love spinach, you may opt to add more the the 5 ounces, it's up to you! This is a really healthy side dish. I've even made this for my main course. The hardest part of this recipe is grating the sweet potatoes, but you could even put them through the grater attachment on a food processor if you have one! It serves 2 to 4 depending on if you plan this for a side or main dish. Some people like a zing to their hash, so I included hot sauce as an optional ingredient. Enjoy!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- 1 (5 ounce) bag Baby Spinach, chopped
- hot sauce, to taste (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste (optional)
- Grate the sweet potatoes (either with a box/hand grater or a food processor fitted with a coarse grating disc).
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the shallots and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes and cook, tossing occasionally, until tender, about 7 to 9 minutes more (or longer if you like your potatoes crispier).
- Add the spinach and cook, tossing, until just wilted, about 1 or 2 minutes more.
- Note: I like to get my sweet potatoes really browned, so I may end up cooking them a bit longer before adding the spinach.
- Optional; add salt and/or pepper to taste. You could also add hot sauce to taste. It's up to you!
I used small dice on the sweet potatoes instead of grating them, and also used frozen spinach for this dish. It was very colorful and tasty. I bet this would be great with wilted kale or other greens too. Thank you!
This was great! To get them to actually brown, I used a potato ricer to squeeze all the liquid from the sweet potatoes before frying. Be forewarned that mine cooked down by half by the time they were crispy. Next time I'll make a double batch.
This gets a 4 star because while I loved it DH was only so-so with it. I will make it again for myself because I think it was a great, healthy side. I could eat this as a main meal with a fried on top. :) Thanks for posting. Lesley aka K9Owned