Recipe by Renegade Chef
From Food & Wine, Nov 2008. The potato puree can be made ahead and refrigerated overnight, but bring it to room temperature before baking. The pecans can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- 5 lbs sweet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups pecans
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Roast the sweet potatoes on a large baking sheet until tender, about 1 hr 10 minute.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, melt the butter. Add the pecans, sugar and chipotle powder and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the sugar starts to caramelize and the pecans are well coated (approx. 8 min).
- Spread pecans on a parchment-lined baking sheet, sprinkle with salt, and let cool.
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop the flesh into a food processor; discard skins. Add the honey, cinnamon, allspice, and cloves to the processor and puree. Add the cream and puree. Season with salt and pepper.
- Scrape the potatoes into a 9x13 baking dish; scatter marsh mellows on top.
- Bake in the top third of the oven for 25 minutes, until the marsh mellows are golden. Sprinkle with pecans and serve.