Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from the chef at a nearby golf club. Of course, he doesn't measure anything, so the original quantities were "to taste." The end result has always gotten rave reviews. Sept 2005 Update: Thanks to Thorsten for providing measurements and a photo!
- 600 g yams (3-4)
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar, to taste
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Peel and slice yams 1/8" thick- easily done in a food processer.
- Layer yam slices (overlapping) lengthwise in a 13 x 9 casserole.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Repeat yam and spice layers.
- Pour whipping cream over everything so dish is half full.
- Bake 1 hour.
We've made this gratin every thanksgiving holiday for the past 6 years - it's very much loved & eaten quickly w/no leftovers ever, no matter if the recipe's doubled or tripled! Given the high-cal/fat, it's definitely reserved for holidays-only & everyone looks very forward to it throughout the year. Thanks, Kathy, for posting back in the day of recipezaar - I printed it years ago & had to research to find it again since there's many variations out there - but this is our fav!
So, so very tasty! I did add some crumbled smoked bacon bits, chopped onions and grated Parmesan cheese, and the flavor was both sweet and savory for a great main dish. I'll definitely ba making this dish again!
very yummy but definitely not low fat. The whipping cream made it very creamy but it was still delicious!