Recipe by Ozzzie
This recipe is from a low fat cook book. It is beautifully presented, delicious and best of all pretty simple.
Top Review by Cooking4two
My husband and I loved this recipe - thanks for sharing! It was fantastic & we totally recommend it. As stated in the other review, it takes way more than 50 grams of flour. We topped the dish with some goat feta (it totally added something) and paired it with Sangiogvese wine. Next time we'd skip the prawns and double the sauce.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 50 g whole wheat flour (plus a little extra for shaping)
- 1 ground nutmeg (1 = tsp)
- 1 (225 g) can chopped tomatoes, and their juice
- 75 g cooked prawns
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 35 g peeled and finely chopped onions
- 35 g finely chopped mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon red wine (optional)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Roast sweet potatoes for about 35 minutes or until flesh is tender when pierced with a skewer.
- Cool potatoes slightly and remove skin.
- You should have about 175g of potato flesh.
- Mash flour and sweet potato in a bowl until you have a smooth mixture.
- Add the nutmeg and mix again- season lightly if required.
- On a floured surface roll a ball (about the size of a brazil nut) of potato mixture- flouring your hands is also handy here.
- Flatten ball slightly with a fork.
- Continue process of making balls of potato mixture until it has all been used.
- Place in the fridge while you prepare the sauce.
- Make the sauce: Heat olive oil in a non stick pan.
- Add garlic and onion and fry until soft.
- Add mushrooms and a little water if pan is getting dry.
- When mushrooms start to soften add the red wine (or 1tbsp water).
- Let the mixture bubble for a few moments and add oregano.
- Add tomatoes and juice to pan and stir well.
- Add prawns to sauce, stir well and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- The sauce should reduce to a thickened consistency.
- Add basil to sauce and stir.
- To cook gnocchi: Place gnocchi one by one in a large pan of boiling water and cook for about 3 minutes- they are ready when they rise to the surface.
- With a slotted spoon transfer gnocchi to dinner plate and top with sauce.