By Eva Katz, from Fine Cooking, issue #55. This recipe is wonderful, and a great start to a holiday meal. I have also enjoyed this, cooled, in summer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the soup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ounce fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced (1/2-inch chunk)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 fresh jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed, and left whole
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 4 medium)
- chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- fresh ground white pepper
For the raita
- 1Make the soup: Melt the butter in a soup pot over low heat. Cook the onion in the butter, stirring occasionally, until very soft but not browned, 10 to 13 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, and cardamom and cook for another minute. Increase the heat to high and add the jalapeno, sweet potatoes, 4 cups of the broth, and the salt. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low, cover, and simmer until the potatoes are very soft, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 2In a blender, purée the soup in batches until very smooth. Rinse and dry the pot and return the puréed soup to it. Add the remaining broth and the cream, if using, and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Add the lime juice and brown sugar, and season with salt and white pepper to taste.
- 3Make the raita: While the soup is simmering, combine the yogurt, apple, mint, and jalapeño in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 4To serve: Ladle the soup into individual bowls and add a dollop of the raita.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato & Ginger Soup With Apple-Mint Raita
Serving Size: 1 (246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 310.6
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 19.2 mg
- Sodium 581.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 17.4 g
- Protein 5.4 g