Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I discovered this South African recipe on the www.funkymunky.co.za/african.html site Chef Zee recommended. I'm posting it for the World Tour, and haven't tried it yet myself, but it looks delicious. I modified it slightly. Serve these hot with meat or fish stew (called potjie in South Africa).
- Peel and boil sweet potatoes until tender. Mash them well.
- Beat eggs and add them to the sweet potatoes along with the flour, butter, salt, and enough water or milk to thin the consistency into a soft dough.
- Shape mixture into flat round cakes, dip first in the beaten eggs, and then coat with the breadcrumbs.
- Fry in hot oil until golden brown.
- Drain well and serve hot.
As a South African I've been making this recipe all my life. In this form it will be quite bland. I want to suggest 3 things. Sweet potato MUST be boiled to very dry. Put some brown suger or honey in for more sweetness - South African food tends to be sweet. then add a bit of grated nutmeg in - it will enhance the taste of the sweet potato. Bon Apetite!
I wish I had read the first review before making this recipe. I didn't boil the potatoes until dry and had add LOTS of flour. The finished potato cake was a little on the bland side.
I did follow the advice of reviewer Gusluvfood. I boiled the sweet potato, added some honey and a dash of grated nutmeg. This was yummy! Made for ZWT4 and the Tastebud Tickling Travellers.