Nita Holleman's Note:
Excellent side dish. Tasty and delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- 1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
- 3 baked sweet potatoes, peeled,mashed
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 -4 tablespoons dark brown sugar, depends on sweetness of the potato,red potatoes are usually naturally sweeter
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 cup baker angel flake coconut (optional)
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1Heat a saucepan over low heat.
- 2Add butter and melt.
- 3Add onions.
- 4Saute' over medium-low heat until onion is soft and somewhat translucent.
- 5Do NOT brown.
- 6Remove from heat.
- 7Turn burner off.
- 8Preheat Peanut Oil or Vegetable Oil to 350 Degrees F.
- 9or to point where a drop of water will sizzle when placed in it.
- 10Peel and mash sweet potatoes in a large bowl.
- 11Add sauteed onion.
- 12Whisk eggs together.
- 13Add flour and sugar mixing in until smooth.
- 14Add salt, optional coconut.
- 15Combine with potato mixture.
- 16Spoon fritter mixture into hot oil by about 1/2 Tablespoons.
- 17Cook 5 or 6 fritters at a time.
- 18Cook fritters about 3 minutes on each side.
- 19Drain on rack or on paper towels.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato Fritters ala Nita
Serving Size: 1 (122 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 154.7
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 110.8 mg
- Sodium 281.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 10.0 g
- Protein 4.7 g