1/1 Photo of Sweet Potato Drop Biscuits
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Anne's Kitchen's Note:
These biscuits, from my own original recipe, are light, rich, moist and slightly spicy. The sweet potato flavor is pronounced but not overpowering. They're great for breakfast, but since they aren't sweet, they work well as a side dish for lunch or dinner, too.
My Private Note
large b ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh nutmeg
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut in 1/4-inch cubes and chilled in freezer
- 1 cup sweet potato, cooked and mashed*
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (or buttermilk)
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar (or agave nectar)
- 1Preheat oven to 425Ëš.
- 2Sift dry ingredients together into food processor. Pulse to blend. Add cold butter and pulse several times, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Turn mixture out into mixing bowl.
- 3Combine sweet potato, yogurt and sugar or agave nectar in processor and run for several seconds to blend thoroughly.
- 4Add sweet potato mixture to flour mixture and stir together briefly, just until all flour is incorporated and dough forms a ball. (Mixture may be sticky.) Do not overwork the dough.
- 5Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a cookie scoop—either ½ or ¼ cup capacity—scoop uniform mounds onto sheets. You can get 5 large or 10 small biscuits onto each cookie sheet.
- 6Bake until biscuits are set and just start to brown: about 20 minutes for large and 15 minutes for the small size.
- 7These are best served hot (with butter if desired). They can be reheated on a baking sheet for 5 minutes at 400Ëš: good as new.
- 8* Use 2 small-to-medium sweet potatoes baked whole for 1 hour at 375Ëš and scooped out. I also made this w/ 1 giant sweet potato (1 1/4 cup): excellent! Very sticky batter, but biscuits were light, moist and nicely peppery.
- 9Makes about 12 medium or 24 small (bite size) biscuits.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato Drop Biscuits
Serving Size: 1 (46 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 256.8
- Calories from Fat 112
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 33.1 mg
- Sodium 519.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 4.4 g