Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
A different way of having doughnuts.
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato, cooked
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 2 2⁄3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 -4 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon maple extract
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, sour cream and sweet potato. Gradually add flour mixture, stirring to combine. Turn dough out onto a heavily floured surface.
- Knead in flour with hands as needed (dough will be sticky). Roll out dough to 1/2-inch
- thickness. Cut out dough with a 2 1/4-inch round cutter. Cut out center of doughnuts with a 3/4-inch round cutter.
- Heat vegetable oil over medium heat to 360°F.
- Cook doughnuts, in batches,in hot oil, 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
- For the icing: In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and 3 tbsp milk; stir well. Add more milk if needed. Stir in maple extract.
- Sprinkle with chopped pecans.