Recipe by CatlingMex
Street vendors here in Mexico City sell something similar to this, so although the recipe is mine, the idea certainly did not originate with me. I like this because it is nutritious, it's easy to make, and the sweetness can easily be adjusted to suit most any taste.
Top Review by StickyToffee
This is a great dessert especially for kids. They need never know sweet potatoes are one of nature's "super foods." They can even make it themselves if you cook the potatoes for them or buy unsweetened in a can. Much more healthful than cupcakes.
- 1 large sweet potato
- 4 tablespoons marmalade, any flavor
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream (or use whipped cream or a commercial whipped dessert topping such as Kool Whip)
- 4 tablespoons chopped pecans (or try walnuts)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil, bake, or steam your sweet potatoes until soft. Let cool, peel, and refrigerate.
- When ready to make the dessert, cut sweet potato into 1/2-inch slices and let sit until room temperature (or at least long enough to get the "refrigerator cold" off them).
- For each serving, place 3 or 4 slices of sweet potato in a small bowl. Top with marmalade, then a dollop of cream, and finally a generous sprinkling of chopped nuts. Eat with a spoon.
- Variations: If you like it really really sweet, drizzle sweetened condensed milk on it instead of the cream. Or use maple syrup instead of jelly or marmalade, and omit the cream.