Prep 50 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is my alteration of Sweet Potato Custard. The main difference is no sugar. I also was not concerned with it being low-fat, so I used whole eggs and milk. It's a lovely custard to bake on it's own or in a pie shell. Preparation time includes baking the sweet potatoes and simmering the dates.
- 120 g dates
- 100 ml water
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup sweet potato, cooked and mashed
- 1⁄2 cup banana, mashed
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 dash nutmeg
- Place dates and water in a small saucepan and warm over low heat until dates have softened and the water is mostly absorbed. Press the date and water mixture through a sieve and discard the dry, fibrous bits that are left.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and then add the molasses.
- Add the sieved dates, mashed sweet potato and banana and combine well.
- Stir in milk and spices.
- Pour into a baking dish or pie shell and bake in a preheated oven for 40-45 minutes at 325°F/170°C A knife inserted near the center will come out clean when the custard is set.