1/14 Photos of Sweet Potato Curry With Spinach and Chickpeas
Kozmic Blues's Note:
This a wonderfully full flavored, vegetarian curry. The recipe is adapted from a recipe that I received in an email from Vegetarian Times.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 large sweet onions, chopped or 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 -2 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 10 ounces fresh spinach, washed, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 2 lbs)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, can substitute fresh if available
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- basmati rice or brown rice, for serving
- 1You may choose to cook the sweet potatoes however you prefer.
- 2I like to peel, chop and steam mine in a veggie steamer for about 15 minutes.
- 3Baking or boiling work well too.
- 4While sweet potatoes cook, heat 1-2 tsp of canola or vegetable oil over medium heat.
- 5Add onions and sauté 2-3 minutes, or until they begin to soften.
- 6Next, add the curry powder, cumin, and cinnamon, and stir to coat the onions evenly with spices.
- 7Add tomatoes with their juices, and the chickpeas, stir to combine.
- 8Add ½ cup water and raise heat up to a strong simmer for about a minute or two.
- 9Next, add the fresh spinach, a couple handfuls at a time, stirring to coat with cooking liquid.
- 10When all the spinach is added to the pan, cover and simmer until just wilted, about 3 minutes.
- 11Add the cooked sweet potatoes to the liquid, and stir to coat.
- 12Simmer for another 3-5 minutes, or until flavors are well combined.
- 13Transfer to serving dish, toss with fresh cilantro, and serve hot.
- 14This dish is nice served over basmati or brown rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato Curry With Spinach and Chickpeas
Serving Size: 1 (269 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 166.5
- Calories from Fat 21
- Total Fat 2.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 277.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 6.7 g