Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
I randomly came up with this when something slightly sweet but lower calorie and lower fat than normal sweet potato casserole. It can be served as a side dish or as a dessert depending on your tastes and if you like slightly sweet things with your savory meals.
- Preheat oven to 400F/200°C.
- Bake sweet potatoes on a baking tray for 45minutes to one hour or more depending on the size of your sweet potatoes, they should be very tender.
- Turn down oven to 375F/175°C.
- Let sweet potatoes cool slightly and peel off the skins.
- Mash sweet potatoes then mix in the 1/8 cup brown sugar and spices, set aside.
- In another bowl, rub/fork the softened butter through the flour until crumbly and large breadcrumb-like.
- Mix in the one and a half ounces light brown sugar into the flour and butter mixture.
- Spread the sweet potato mixture into a casserole dish and top evenly with the crumble mix.
- Bake at 375F/175C for 15-20 minutes, until the crumble is nicely browned and crisped.
I made this recipe but added a quarter cup of real maple syrup to the mashed sweet potatoes. It gave it a smooter flavor. The group of friends I served it to, loved it!