Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Great Fall/Winter Crock Pot Recipe with a 'surprise' ingredient that really puts this over the top for "Yum Factor". My family loves it, and it is a really short ingredient list! I originally got the basic recipe from a magazine and changed a couple of things for more flavor. (Like using chicken broth instead of water, and adding chopped ham -- or chicken works well too -- whichever you have). Great on it's own, or served over rice!
- Stir together in crock pot the tomatoes, cumin, & pumpkin pie spice.
- Peel sweet potatoes and chop into bite size chunks, add to crock pot.
- Peel and dice red onion, add to crock pot, stir all together.
- Cover and cook for 4 &1/2 to 5 hours on high.
- About 1/2 hour before serving, stir in the peanut butter well, and add the chopped ham, cover & continue to cook.
- When ready to serve, added fresh chopped parsley and stir.
Very Interesting recipe!! I was trying to use some sweet potatoes and chicken, so...tada! The peanut butter, cumin, pumpkin pie spice...had a little Indian-ish taste, which I loved and my husband liked "okay". It needed a little salt and pepper at the end, followed the recipe to a tee, but used 4 large frozen chicken breasts in leiu of ham. Cooked for 3 hours on high and another 5 on low. Very hearty and fallish!
Although I made this recipe to take to a neighbor couple, I did keep several small bowls for the 2 of us to enjoy, which we did, for sure! Loved the combo of the sweet potato & peanut butter, along with the diced, cooked chicken breast that I substituted for the ham! Great homey satisfaction, & a keeper of a recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current round of Pick A Chef] Want to know more about PAC? Click onto this link = http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=327498