Recipe by Food Addict!
Great Fall/Winter Crock Pot Recipe with a 'surprise' ingredient that really puts this over the top for "Yum Factor". My family loves it, and it is a really short ingredient list! I originally got the basic recipe from a magazine and changed a couple of things for more flavor. (Like using chicken broth instead of water, and adding chopped ham -- or chicken works well too -- whichever you have). Great on it's own, or served over rice!
Top Review by SaraD202
Very Interesting recipe!! I was trying to use some sweet potatoes and chicken, so...tada! The peanut butter, cumin, pumpkin pie spice...had a little Indian-ish taste, which I loved and my husband liked "okay". It needed a little salt and pepper at the end, followed the recipe to a tee, but used 4 large frozen chicken breasts in leiu of ham. Cooked for 3 hours on high and another 5 on low. Very hearty and fallish!
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes (about 5-6 small)
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 lb cooked ham, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped fine
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together in crock pot the tomatoes, cumin, & pumpkin pie spice.
- Peel sweet potatoes and chop into bite size chunks, add to crock pot.
- Peel and dice red onion, add to crock pot, stir all together.
- Cover and cook for 4 &1/2 to 5 hours on high.
- About 1/2 hour before serving, stir in the peanut butter well, and add the chopped ham, cover & continue to cook.
- When ready to serve, added fresh chopped parsley and stir.