Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
A fair amount of work, but certainly delicious. Cranberries and walnuts are yummy and unexpected in the cake. I must say the sweet potatoes sounded more interesting than they were actually tasted, but it was still a great cake. A great fall cake.
- 2 lbs tan skinned sweet potatoes
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 4 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
- 2⁄3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prick potatoes and roast until soft, about 1 hour.
- Let cool, and then peel and mash.
- Measure 2 cups mashed potatoes and reduce oven to 350.
- Butter and flour 2 9 inch cake pans.
- Line bottom with parchment.
- Sift flour and next 6 ingredients together in a bowl.
- In large bowl whisk together oil and sugars til smooth.
- Whisk in one egg at a time, then add potatoes.
- Whisk in flour in 3 additions.
- Stir in cranberries and walnuts.
- Divide cake mixture into the 2 pans and bake for 30 minutes until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely on wire racks.
- For the Frosting: Use an electric mixer to beat cream cheese and butter til fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar, then orange juice and vanilla.
- Place one cake on platter flat side up and frost top.
- Place next layer on top, with its flat side down.
- Frost entire cake and use extra walnuts and cranberries to garnish as a ring around the top of the cake.
- Chill at least 2 hours to set the cake.