Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is delicious with any meal but especially good with chicken, turkey or ham. Great for holidays because you can do it ahead.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes or 3 1⁄2 lbs yams, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 large onions, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- lite olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 cups fresh cranberries (do not thaw if using frozen cranberries) or 2 cups frozen cranberries (do not thaw if using frozen cranberries)
- 2⁄3 cup golden brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 large orange, juice and rind of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix Sweet potatoes and onions and put mixed veggies in two sprayed shallow oven proof dishes (about 8x12 each).
- Spray the veggies lightly with oil and bake until sweet potatoes are just tender (a bit under done) About 20-25 minutes.
- Lower heat on oven to 350°F.
- Combine the remaining ingredients, mix well and pour equally into the two casseroles.
- Mix well to coat all the pieces of vegetable.
- Bake uncovered about 30-40 min or until tender and getting sticky, Stir once during cooking.
- You may freeze the casseroles, tightly covered, before the final baking.
- Then on the day of your dinner defrost and follow through the final baking.
- Or you may hold it in your refrigerator, tightly covered, for a day and then bake on the day of your dinner.