Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A different twist to Cottage pie. Suitable to freeze.
Make and share this Sweet Potato Cottage Pie recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Cook the potato & sweet potato in a large saucepan of boiling water for 15 mins or until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large, deep non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion.
- Cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until softened.
- Add the beef.
- Cook for 5 mins, breaking up lumps with a wooden spoon.
- Add the tomato pasted and gravy powder.
- Stir to combine.
- Gradually add 2/3 cup of water, stirring continuously.
- Add the carrot and zucchini.
- Bring to the boil and reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer for 10 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the peas.
- Drain the potato & sweet potato.
- Add the milk and mash.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Mash until smooth.
- Transfer the mince mixture to a 1/5L (6-cup) capacity oven proof dish.
- Dollop the mash over the top and spread to cover.
- Rough up the surface with a fork.
- Bake for 25 mins or until slightly browned.
This recipe got a double wow from us. I had some mashed potatoes/yams to use up so I made this recipe. I may have been alittle short on the quantity but it worked out perfectly for us. I increased the beef abit & used up abit of leftover liquid gravy (for some of the water). I didn't have zucchini in the fridge so I sub'd edamame. I will DEFINATELY make this again & will make sure I have all the ingredients next time, thanks for sharing.
YES YES YES YES YES! TRUE!
THINK am excited about having made this too? lol
This is terrific LOVE is low fat,
Never thought could have Cottage/Shepard's Pie this yummy! HOWZ THAT? :)
MADE IT AGAIN today!! Added a bit of Worcestershire sauce as used 500 grams of mince...Still healthy and YUM!
Delicious! Even I really liked this (yes, I am a picky cook!). I doubled the recipe and cooked in a 13x9" pan. Meat had such great flavor, and the sweet potatoes made the dish. Next time I make it, we'll only be using sweet potatoes and I am going to play with adding green beans also. YUM!