Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup fine-grind cornmeal (yellow or white, preferably stone-ground)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground mace
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup pureed baked sweet potato
- 1⁄4 cup corn oil
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 large orange, zest of, grated
- To make the Orange Butter: in a small bowl using the back of a spoon, cream the butter and zest until fluffy and well combined; store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week; bring to room temperature before serving.
- To make the bread: preheat the oven to 375°; grease a 9-inch round springform or square cake pan.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- In a small bowl, mix the eggs, sweet potatoes, corn oil, maple syrup, and buttermilk with a whisk.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients; stir just until all ingredients are moistened yet thoroughly blended.
- Take care not to overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan; bake in the center of the oven about 20-25 minutes, until the cornbread is golden around the edges and a cake tester comes out clean.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting into thick wedges.
- Serve with Orange Butter.