2 hrs 30 mins
Barbara's cooking again's Note:
This is similar to the other Sweet Potato Cornbread recipe that is posted. The cooking method differs and this makes two loaves. The cooking time includes the time to bake the sweet potatoes as well as the time to bake the cornbread. Leftover baked sweet potatoes would be fine for this. I think toasted, chopped pecans would be a nice addition to this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 1/3 cups white wheat flour
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups well shaken buttermilk
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake sweet potatoes for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until tender. Let cool, peel and mash.
- 2Grease and flour two 8 x 4 x 3 inch metal loaf pans, knocking off any excess flour. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 3In a large bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 4Whisk together the buttermilk, melted butter and eggs and add to flour mixture. Stir until just combined. Stir in the chopped cranberries.
- 5Divide the batter between the pans, smoothing the tops and let stand for 10 minutes. Bake at 375 until the tops are pale golden, the sides pull slightly away from the pan and a tester inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes. Remove the loaves from the pans and cool completely on the rack.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato Cornbread With Dried Cranberries
Serving Size: 1 (141 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 330.1
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.5 g
- Cholesterol 101.5 mg
- Sodium 409.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 19.1 g
- Protein 6.5 g