Recipe by Bayhill
The combination of sweet potatoes, corn, leeks, and bacon make this soup very special.
Top Review by lazyme
Yum! I love corn chowders and I've really been into sweet potatoes lately, lol. What a great combo this makes. The only thing I did differently was to not include the leeks as they don't have them at our small town market. Very good and flavorful. Thanks Bayhill for a nice keeper on a cold and rainy day. Congrats on your Week 13 win in the Football Pool.
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1⁄2 cup sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup leek, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh marjoram, chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp; remove bacon from pan, reserving drippings in pan. Set bacon aside.
- Cook onion, corn, sweet red pepper, leek, thyme, and marjoram in the bacon drippings over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until tender.
- Add sweet potatoes, 2-1/2 cups water, and chicken broth; cook, uncovered for 18 minutes or until sweet potato is tender.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and 1/2 cup cold water, stirring until smooth. Stir cornstarch mixture into soup.
- Bring to a boil; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat to low; add bacon, whipping cream, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Cook, uncovered, until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally. Serve immediately.