1/4 Photos of Sweet Potato-Corn Chowder
The combination of sweet potatoes, corn, leeks, and bacon make this soup very special.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1/2 cup sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup leek, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh marjoram, chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- 1In a Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp; remove bacon from pan, reserving drippings in pan. Set bacon aside.
- 2Cook onion, corn, sweet red pepper, leek, thyme, and marjoram in the bacon drippings over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until tender.
- 3Add sweet potatoes, 2-1/2 cups water, and chicken broth; cook, uncovered for 18 minutes or until sweet potato is tender.
- 4In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and 1/2 cup cold water, stirring until smooth. Stir cornstarch mixture into soup.
- 5Bring to a boil; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened and bubbly.
- 6Reduce heat to low; add bacon, whipping cream, salt, and pepper to taste.
- 7Cook, uncovered, until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato-Corn Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (2146 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 198.1
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 31.9 mg
- Sodium 342.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: