Recipe by chef lisae
While on a family vacation in Virginia last year, we ate at a restaurant called Food For Thought. They serve sweet potato cornbread with their meals....it was delicious. Being the health conscious person that I am, I created this recipe. (Note: I use salt substitute in this recipe and a baking powder that is sodium free)
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Followed your recipe right on down & very much appreciated how healthy this corn bread is! Of course, I'm also a big fan of sweet potatoes, so that was a big plus! Loved the ease of making this & thoroughly enjoyed the taste! Will be making it again, for sure! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block recipe tag]
- 354.88 ml white whole wheat flour
- 177.44 ml yellow cornmeal
- 3.69 ml salt substitute
- 19.71 ml sodium-free baking powder
- 59.14 ml light brown sugar
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 1.23 ml ground nutmeg
- 354.88 ml sweet potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 59.16 ml light margarine
- 236.59 ml skim milk
- 29.58 ml skim milk
- 78.07 ml pasteurized liquid egg-whites
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 Degrees and spray a 9 x9 inch pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the first 7 ingredients.
- With a pastry blender or 2 forks, blend in the margarine.
- Stir the Sweet Potato into the dry ingredients.
- Add the milk, egg and vanilla and stir with a whisk to combine.
- Pour batter in to prepared dish and spread evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.