Recipe by chef lisae
While on a family vacation in Virginia last year, we ate at a restaurant called Food For Thought. They serve sweet potato cornbread with their meals....it was delicious. Being the health conscious person that I am, I created this recipe. (Note: I use salt substitute in this recipe and a baking powder that is sodium free)
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Followed your recipe right on down & very much appreciated how healthy this corn bread is! Of course, I'm also a big fan of sweet potatoes, so that was a big plus! Loved the ease of making this & thoroughly enjoyed the taste! Will be making it again, for sure! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block recipe tag]
- 1 1⁄2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt substitute
- 4 teaspoons sodium-free baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 4 tablespoons light margarine
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1⁄3 cup pasteurized liquid egg-whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 Degrees and spray a 9 x9 inch pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the first 7 ingredients.
- With a pastry blender or 2 forks, blend in the margarine.
- Stir the Sweet Potato into the dry ingredients.
- Add the milk, egg and vanilla and stir with a whisk to combine.
- Pour batter in to prepared dish and spread evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.