chef lisae's Note:
While on a family vacation in Virginia last year, we ate at a restaurant called Food For Thought. They serve sweet potato cornbread with their meals....it was delicious. Being the health conscious person that I am, I created this recipe. (Note: I use salt substitute in this recipe and a baking powder that is sodium free)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 teaspoon salt substitute
- 4 teaspoons sodium-free baking powder
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 4 tablespoons light margarine
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1/3 cup pasteurized liquid egg-whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- cooking spray
- 1Preheat oven to 425 Degrees and spray a 9 x9 inch pan with cooking spray.
- 2In a medium bowl, sift together the first 7 ingredients.
- 3With a pastry blender or 2 forks, blend in the margarine.
- 4Stir the Sweet Potato into the dry ingredients.
- 5Add the milk, egg and vanilla and stir with a whisk to combine.
- 6Pour batter in to prepared dish and spread evenly.
- 7Bake for 20 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato Corn Bread
Serving Size: 1 (98 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 161.6
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.6 mg
- Sodium 35.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 5.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sodium-free baking powder
pasteurized liquid egg-whites