Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
An easy vegetarian hash that came from Eating Well.com. DH likes to roll it up in a tortilla with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of cheddar cheese.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 lime, cut into wedge
- tortilla (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- cheddar cheese (optional)
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and sauté until browned in spots, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add sweet potato and cook, stirring, until it starts to brown in spots, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, jalapeño, cumin and salt; sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add water and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until liquid is absorbed, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in corn and black beans and cook until heated through.
- Stir in cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with lime wedges. Good rolled in a tortilla with sour cream and cheddar cheese.
A wonderful combination of flavors! And love the colors. I did not have tortillas in house but definitely can see why you recommended that idea. This is a big recipe for two- I think it would feed 3. I had black beans but opened up my can ( of kidney beans) before realizing what I had done-next time will use black beans but it was good with kidney beans too--LOL! Thanks Deb for sharing.
Another great recipe! My husband gave this a 4 (he hates sweet potatoes but I make him eat them anyway :) ) however, a dinner guest gave this a 5 and I thought it was easy to prepare and hard to mess up. I only used about 2 1/2 teaspoons cumin as I ran out so I threw in 2 teaspoon of chili powder - DH likes spicy so this worked out well. I served this with a dollop of Gee Whiz Spread, wrapped up in a tortilla and with a side of yellow rice - the ultimate vegan fiesta! Thanks Deb!! Made for Veg*n Swap 23!
Great flavors. I used less salt, more cilantro and the optionals: corn tortillas and nonfat sour cream. Loved it as a taco! I did have to cook it an extra 4 minutes past the cooking time (covered) so that the sweet potatoes were all the way cooked through (which were cut into french fry shape).