Recipe by Dib's
Apple what? Give this a try for a change of taste!
Top Review by Gladys58
Now I have made many different types of cobbler but never with sweet potatoes. So I just had to give this on a try. Outstanding. The sweet potatoes cooked in the sugar-spice mixture tasted heavenly. Looked beautiful as well. Thanks Diana for one excellent cobbler recipe.
- 8 cups sweet potatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick (around 4 large ones)
- lightly salt water
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 dash ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 double crust pie crust
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan cover sliced sweet potatoes with lightly salted water.
- Bring to a boil, reducing to a simmer.
- Cook for 7 minutes or until tender but still firm.
- Drain reserving 2 cups of the cooking liquid.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat stir together the 2 cups reserved liquid, sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- Keep stirring until the sugar is disolved.
- Add butter and melt.
- Pour the syrup over the sweet potatoes and cook over medium high heat until syrup bubbles up and over the potatoes.
- Remove from heat.
- Layer the sweet potato slices in a 8x10 inch glass dish.
- Pour syrup over the potatoes.
- Cut pastry lattice style and top cobbler.
- Brush with milk, sprinkle with sugar, nuts and bake in a 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.