Recipe by children from A to Z
I found this in Southern Living Annual Recipe cookbook. You have to try this. Cooking time includes the baking of the potatoes.
- 6 -7 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, divided
- 2 cups flour
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- whipped cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pierce sweet potatoes several times with a fork, and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake 400 degrees for 1 hour on until done; cool slightly.
- Peel and cut into 1/4 inch slices.
- Place sweet potato slices in a lightly greased 9x13-inch baking dish; add orange juice.
- Stir together 1/2 cup sugar, brown sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Sprinkle over sweet potato.
- Dot with 6 tablespoons butter.
- Combine 2 cups flour and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, evenly over surface, and stir with a fork until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Shape into a ball.
- Roll pastry into a 13x9-inch rectangle.
- Place over sweet potato mixture, sealing edges.
- Cut slits in top to allow steam to escape.
- Microwave remaining 2 tablespoons butter until melted.
- Brush butter over crust, and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons sugar.
- Bake 400 for 1 hour or until golden.
- Serve warm with whipped cream.