Recipe by Dragonfly AZ
Grand Prize Winner from a Southern Living Magazine contest. Tender, gooey, and sweet--these rolls hit the spot and are worth the extra effort.
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 5 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons grated orange rind
- 2 1⁄4 ounces yeast
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup melted butter
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 -4 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Dough: (Using ABM).
- Make sure the potatoes are smoothly mashed. Combine all ingredients, in order listed, into pan of bread maker. Run dough cycle.
- (By Hand).
- Mix warm water, yeast, and 1 tsp sugar until yeast is dissolved. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir in egg, buttermilk, sugar and melted butter.
- Mix baking soda into 1 cup flour. Stir mixture into liquids.
- Stir in orange zest.
- Stir in 3 1/2 cups flour.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup flour over kneading surface. Turn dough out onto surface and knead 5-10 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. It should still be slightly sticky.
- Put dough in bowl, spray top with cooking spray and place in warm spot to rise until about doubled.
- While dough is rising, make filling by combining the ingredients.
- When dough is through rising, or dough cycle is done, turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Roll dough out into 10 x 18 inch rectangle.
- Spread filling over dough, leaving a 1 inch border along the longer sides. Roll up dough, jelly-roll style. Cut into 1 1/2 inch slices (no thicker than that) and place slices into well greased baking pan.
- Spray top of rolls with cooking spray. If you wish, you can cover the rolls with plastic wrap and put into refrigerator to rise overnight, or place into warm spot to rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake rolls at 400 for 10 minutes.
- While baking, make glaze: Stir together cinnamon, sugar, corn syrup and butter in saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a light boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in cream and vanilla.
- After 10 minutes, remove rolls from oven and slowly drizzle glaze over rolls, allowing it to soak into the rolls.
- Return rolls to oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and invert onto foil lined baking sheet. Remove baking pan and invert rolls again onto serving platter.
- Let cool for about 20 minutes, then serve warm.