1/1 Photo of Sweet Potato Cinnamon Rolls
Dragonfly AZ's Note:
Grand Prize Winner from a Southern Living Magazine contest. Tender, gooey, and sweet--these rolls hit the spot and are worth the extra effort.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 5 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons grated orange rind
- 2 1/4 ounces yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 -4 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1Dough: (Using ABM).
- 2Make sure the potatoes are smoothly mashed. Combine all ingredients, in order listed, into pan of bread maker. Run dough cycle.
- 3(By Hand).
- 4Mix warm water, yeast, and 1 tsp sugar until yeast is dissolved. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- 5Stir in egg, buttermilk, sugar and melted butter.
- 6Mix baking soda into 1 cup flour. Stir mixture into liquids.
- 7Stir in orange zest.
- 8Stir in 3 1/2 cups flour.
- 9Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup flour over kneading surface. Turn dough out onto surface and knead 5-10 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. It should still be slightly sticky.
- 10Put dough in bowl, spray top with cooking spray and place in warm spot to rise until about doubled.
- 11While dough is rising, make filling by combining the ingredients.
- 12When dough is through rising, or dough cycle is done, turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Roll dough out into 10 x 18 inch rectangle.
- 13Spread filling over dough, leaving a 1 inch border along the longer sides. Roll up dough, jelly-roll style. Cut into 1 1/2 inch slices (no thicker than that) and place slices into well greased baking pan.
- 14Spray top of rolls with cooking spray. If you wish, you can cover the rolls with plastic wrap and put into refrigerator to rise overnight, or place into warm spot to rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 15Bake rolls at 400 for 10 minutes.
- 16While baking, make glaze: Stir together cinnamon, sugar, corn syrup and butter in saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a light boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in cream and vanilla.
- 17After 10 minutes, remove rolls from oven and slowly drizzle glaze over rolls, allowing it to soak into the rolls.
- 18Return rolls to oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- 19Remove from oven and invert onto foil lined baking sheet. Remove baking pan and invert rolls again onto serving platter.
- 20Let cool for about 20 minutes, then serve warm.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato Cinnamon Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 752.2
- Calories from Fat 220
- Total Fat 24.4 g
- Saturated Fat 14.8 g
- Cholesterol 80.7 mg
- Sodium 696.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 126.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 68.3 g
- Protein 10.2 g