Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I have not tried this recipe. I'm posting this recipe for safe keeping. I got this recipe from Better Homes And Gardens Heart Healthy Living.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 15 ounces sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- lemons (optional) or orange wedge (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F; spray a 10-inch fluted tube pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter, granulated sugar, 1/3 cup brown sugar, egg, and egg whites until light and fluffy. Add sweet potatoes and mix well. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and 2 teaspoons cinnamon. Gradually add flour mixture to sweet potato mixture alternating with yogurt, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Add vanilla.
- In a small bowl, combine pecans with remaining 1/3 cup brown sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon.
- Spread 1/3 of the batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with half the pecan topping. Repeat layers, ending with final 1/3 of the batter. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick, inserted, comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Invert onto serving plate.
- In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, orange juice, and lemon juice. Drizzle over warm cake. Garnish with lemon or orange wedges, if desired.