Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a Better Homes & Garden recipe. Wonderful flavors. I like to serve it with a dollop of creme fraiche on top of each serving.
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon red curry paste (or 2 to 3 teaspoons curry powder)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces (5 to 6 large)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- fresh lemongrass (or 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel)
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- creme fraiche, to taste
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion; cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add curry paste and garlic; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in sweet potato, chicken broth, coconut milk, lemongrass, and, ginger.
- Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until sweet potato is tender. Cool slightly. Discard lemongrass.
- Transfer half of the potato mixture (about 4 cups) in small batches to a blender or food processor. Cover and blend or process until smooth.
- Return pureed mixture to the remaining mixture in Dutch oven.
- Stir in white pepper and salt.
- Heat through. Serve with a dolop of creme fraiche.
Made half a recipe for some vegetarian neighbors, & they were most pleased with it (& so was I 'cause I kept a bowl of it for myself)! Subed vegetable broth for the chicken broth, & used curry powder & finely minced lemon zest! Definltely a recipe to keep around! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's PAC]