Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
A recipe from our local Savannah newspaper.
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sweet potato, cooked and mashed
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 (15 5/8 ounce) container chocolate frosting
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the egg yolks, sweet potatoes, water, and vanilla. Mix well.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, and baking powder. Add to the sweet potato mixture.
- Beat the egg whiltes until they form stiff peaks. Fold the egg whites and nuts into the batter. Pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.