Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Dorie Greenspan; serve as a side dish with chicken, pot roast, or a meaty fish.
Make and share this Sweet Potato-Chipotle Pancakes recipe from Food.com.
- Grate sweet potatoes using the grating blade of a food processor or the large holes of a box grater.
- Transfer grated potatoes to a bowl and add in the chipotles, egg, and honey; stir with a rubber spatula to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour, chili powder, and salt together; add the dry ingredients to the potato mixture; stir with spatula just until incorporated.
- Pour enough peanut oil to come 1/8 inch up the sides of a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet and heat over medium heat until the oil is very hot but not bubbling.
- While the oil is heating, line a baking sheet with a brown paper bag or a triple thickness of paper towels.
- For each pancake, drop a rounded tablespoon of batter into the oil and press the cake down with the back of the spoon to create a thin pancake that is about 2 ½ inches across.
- Be careful not to crowd the pan—leave about 2 inches of space between the pancakes.
- Cook pancakes until they are deep brown and crispy on the undersides, then turn with a wide spatula and a fork and brown the other sides.
- Lift the pancakes out of the oil, letting the excess oil drip back into the pan, and place on the brown paper to drain.
- Pat the tops of the pancakes free of excess oil with paper toweling and serve immediately, or keep, uncovered, in a 200° oven while you make the rest of the batch.
Really super!!!! I have a Dorie Greenspan baking cookbook but I had never tried anything other than baked goods from her. This is perfectly sweet, spicy, crunchy, and flavorful!!! The texture is great!! I cooked the pancakes in the oil at first and then I wondered how they would turn out baked so I baked the rest of my pancakes in the oven. I baked them at 450 degrees F for 20 minutes and they turned out just as good if not better than the fried method!!!! These are really pretty too, loved this recipe!!! Thanks for posting!!