Recipe by Dancer^
You can serve this chili alone or over cooked brown rice. Try it with some light sour cream, onions, or reduced-fat cheddar cheese sprinkled on top. This recipe can be frozen for later use.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 peeled carrots
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 -4 cloves peeled garlic (or more, or none, as desired)
- 4 cups peeled sweet potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted dry roasted peanuts
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 (4 ounce) canschopped green chilies
- 2 -4 tablespoons chili powder, to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin, or more if desired
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- cooked brown rice (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions, carrots and bell peppers, and saute lightly for about 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until it turns golden.
- Add the sweet potatoes, peanuts, tomatoes, tomato paste, chiles, chili powder, cumin and sugar.
- Reduce the heat immediately and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 25 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are just tender (use a fork to test it).
- Halfway through the cooking process, adjust seasonings, adding additional chili powder and cumin, as desired.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over rice or serve as is.