1/1 Photo of Sweet Potato Chili (Crock Pot)
9 hrs 15 mins
Dh loved this non-traditional chili which I adapted from the original recipe in The Healthy Slow Cooker
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14.79 ml cumin seed
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 118.29 ml barley
- 283.49 g can tomatoes and green chilies (Rotel or Hatch)
- 170.09 g can tomato juice
- 473.18 ml vegetable broth
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 425.24 g can red kidney beans or 425.24 g can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 14.79 ml chili powder
- 29.58 ml lime juice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- cilantro, chopped (optional garnish)
- 1In a large skillet over medium heat, toast cumin seeds, stirring for about 2 minutes or until fragrant and they start to brown. Transfer to a mortar and pestle and grind. Set aside.
- 2In the same skillet, heat oil over medium heat for 30 seconds or so. Add onions and cook, stirring until softened.
- 3Stir in garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, and reserved cumin. Stir for one minute.
- 4Stir in barley.
- 5Add tomatoes and tomato juice and bring to a boil.
- 6Transfer mixture to crock pot and add vegetable broth, sweet potatoes and beans.
- 7Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours (or high for 3-4 hours).
- 8Mix chili powder and lime juice together in a cup and add to crockpot along with the jalapeno. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes.
- 9Serve in bowls garnished with cilantro and I added non-fat sour cream to mine.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato Chili (Crock Pot)
Serving Size: 1 (238 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 232.6
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 707.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.4 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 9.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: