Dh loved this non-traditional chili which I adapted from the original recipe in The Healthy Slow Cooker
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes and green chilies (Rotel or Hatch)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato juice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans or 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- cilantro, chopped (optional garnish)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, toast cumin seeds, stirring for about 2 minutes or until fragrant and they start to brown. Transfer to a mortar and pestle and grind. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat oil over medium heat for 30 seconds or so. Add onions and cook, stirring until softened.
- Stir in garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, and reserved cumin. Stir for one minute.
- Stir in barley.
- Add tomatoes and tomato juice and bring to a boil.
- Transfer mixture to crock pot and add vegetable broth, sweet potatoes and beans.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours (or high for 3-4 hours).
- Mix chili powder and lime juice together in a cup and add to crockpot along with the jalapeno. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes.
- Serve in bowls garnished with cilantro and I added non-fat sour cream to mine.