Recipe by Boxerwing
Sweet potatoes are an unusual yet delicious addition to this chili and as a bonus you get more orange veggies into your diet! The small amount of sausage also keeps the fat content low without a sacrifice in flavour. Sizes and amounts are flexible.
Top Review by kalajijo
This is one of the best chili recipes I have ever made. I substituted 2-15 oz. cans of black beans for the kidney beans and used only 1/4 tsp of cayenne to keep down the heat. The presence of the sweet potato gives this chili a subtle sweetness.
- 1-2 Italian sausage
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 14.79 ml chili powder
- 4.92 ml oregano
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 7.39-12.32 ml cayenne (to taste) (optional)
- 793.78 g can diced tomatoes, juice included
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped (approx. 1/2" cubes)
- 538.64 g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2.46 ml sugar (optional)
- 1.23 ml salt (optional)
- chopped cilantro or parsley (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove sausage casings and crumble sausage meat.
- In a large pot, brown sausage meat over medium heat until no pink remains.
- Add onion, garlic, chili powder, oregano, cumin and cayenne (if using) to sausage.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and their juice, beans and sweet potatoes to meat mixture.
- Increase heat to medium high, bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 min.
- or until potatoes are soft.
- Stir occasionally.
- Add sugar and/or salt to adjust taste.
- Serve garnished with cilantro or parsley.