Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
I got this recipe from the Longos Experience Magazine for Winter 07. This is a great recipe with a lot of flavour!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (796ml)
- 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans (540ml)
- 1 green pepper
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Mince garlic, chop onion and peel and cube sweet potatoes
- in a large sauce pan, heat oil over medium heat and cook onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin and cinnamon for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Sprinkle with flour and cook stirring for one minute.
- Add stock and stir until smooth.
- Add sweet potatoes and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce Heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 20-25 minutes or until almost tender.
- Add beans and pepper and simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender and slightly thickened.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Excellent! Followed exactly, except I did have to add more stock. I used chipotle powder, and it gave a nice smoky flavor, which complimented the natural sweetness of the dish. Will make again, Sessa. Thnx for sharing your recipe. Made for PAC Fall 2009.
This was excellent. My entire family, seven-year-old included, liked it. I will make it again. It took my sweet potatoes a little longer to soften than the recipe time.