Recipe by Terri Juwan
Don't let the name fool you, this pie does not have a meringue on top...it's mixed in with the sweet potato mixture and makes the filling light in texture. It's delicious! Prep and cook time does not include chilling time.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 envelope plain gelatin
- 3 slightly beaten egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄4 cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 baked deep dish pie shells or 2 regular pie crusts
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In saucepan combine sugar, gelatin, salt, egg yolks and milk.
- Cook stirring constantly until mixture comes to boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in mashed sweet potatoes and spices and let mixture chill.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form and gradually add sugar and beat until stiff.
- Fold potato mixture into egg whites and turn into baked pie shell (s).
- Chill until firm.
- Top with whipped topping when serving, if desired.