One of my coworkers made these for her Yorkie who just loves them as does my dog, Popcorn. Sweet potatoes are popular in the islands of the Pacific Ocean, spreading from Polynesia to Japan and the Philippines. I wonder whether dogs in those countries have sampled this little treat.
- 1 raw sweet potato or 1 yam
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Wash the sweet potato or yam (the very orange type).
- Cut down the middle lengthwise.
- Then cut long lengthwise slices about 1/3 of an inch wide and place on a cookie sheet in a single layer.
- Bake in oven at 250 F for about 3 hours.
- This leaves them kind of chewy but you could also bake them a little longer to get them crunchy.
My dog says thank you! I did check on them during the baking process nad flipped them around to get even cooking for all sides.
I make these all the time now. Dog cookies couldn't be easier and all 4 like them. I flip them halfway through cooking time keeps them on the chewier side for my old guy. Also because my dogs are small, I cut the pieces about 2" by 3" and about 1/3" thick. They will shrink by about half after cooking. Great idea!! Thanks for this.
I did have to use white sweet potatoes, since we don't get the orange ones here, but it would seem to be the same concept, and they certainly do enjoy them! Even my picky Piper, who doesnt like vegetables, said, ok, I like these :) I stirred them around once or twice, but what an easy treat to please my furbabies with! Thanks, Dreamer!