Prep 45 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a recipe that I came across while browsing the December issue of Essence Magazine. Sounds like a lot of steps but very easy to make. It's an exciting twist to ordinary cheesecake, even if you are not a big sweet potato fan.
- 1 3⁄4 cups graham crackers or 1 3⁄4 cups gingersnap crumbs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 lb cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sweet potato puree
- 1⁄2 cup pecan halves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- Butter 9-inch springform pan.
- In medium-size bowl, mix crumbs, sugar and salt.
- Drizzle with butter; stir until dry ingredients are evenly moist.
- Pour into prepared pan; pat even layer of crumbs over bottom of pan and up sides.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- In large bowl, using electric mixer, beat cream cheese at medium speed until creamy. Scrape down sides with rubber spatula.
- With mixer running add light brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt, and vanilla. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each.
- Blend in sweet potatoes.
- Scrape filling into chilled crust; smooth top.
- Bake at 350 degrees until set, about 40 minutes. Let cool on wire rack.
- Coarsely chop pecans.
- In small skillet, melt butter.
- Add pecans; sprinkle with sugar.
- Cook, stirring until sugar melts and nuts are toasted and caramel-coated; let cook briefly.
- Spoon mixture around edge of cheesecake.
- Refrigerate until time to serve.
Also came across this reciepe in ESSENCE last year and made it on a whim for Thanksgiving Dinner. It was a huge hit and has been requested again this year. Very flavorful, we loved it!