Recipe by yooper
For those of you who aren't fond of the sweet potato casseroles with marshmallows, here's a savory alternative. The gratin is baked in a springform pan, and then cut into wedges for a sophisticated presentation. Only 3 ingredients!
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes (about 6)
- 8 ounces white cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the unpeeled sweet potatoes, covered, in enough boiling salted water to cover for 20 to 25 minutes or until they just pierce easily with a fork.
- (Do not overcook.) Drain; cool potatoes slightly.
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Pat potato slices dry with paper towels; set aside.
- Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil.
- Set a 9-inch springform pan in the foil-lined pan.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese on bottom of the spirngform pan.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place one third of the potato slices atop the cheese in a single layer.
- Spread one third of the sour cream over potatoes.
- Sprinkle with freshly ground white pepper.
- Repeat layering 1/2 cup cheese, potato slices, and sour cream twice, pressing layers down gently with a spatula after topping with the final layer of potatoes.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until edges are golden brown and mixture is heated through.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Loosen edges of gratin carefully with a knife.
- Remove sides of springform pan; cut gratin into wedges.